Lessons Learnt from Children

Children are amazing - They have unlimited strength, will power and great learning attitude to learn new things everyday! I'm just so amazed that every single day, my children are growing mentally and physically! So proud of them. Their display made me feel that we, adults must be even stronger than them! I have learnt about Persistence, Courage and Strong Will from them!

1. Persistence


Josh with the bicycle in August 2014
Recently, Josh managed to cycle on his own! Two months ago, we bought a bicycle, with additional 2 small back wheels, and he was cycling very fine with it. It was only a month back that Eve decided to remove the back wheels as we feel that he is ready with just the original bicycle. He was quite taken aback of the removal of the small wheels, and we supported him at the back a few times at the park. He is a cautious boy and he will always make sure that we are holding on to his bicycle when he is cycling.

Josh on his own bicycle!! :)
 There was about a week, after we removed the small wheels, that he refused to cycle at all. He just felt it was difficult and cycling was unstable. We didn't say anything about difficult. The only thing we kept mentioning to him is that it's much safer to cycle with 2 wheels, because with the 2 back wheels, he tend to speed and a few times he fell down. There is much control with just the basic bicycle. He then kept trying and trying.



Josh cycling at the void deck!

With the help of my father-in-law sessions, he was able to stabilise and cycle on his own for a few seconds. We applauded for Josh's confidence. Slowly, he began to get the hang of it and guess what? At the third session with my father-in-law, Josh managed to cycle freely on his own. He suddenly felt the sense of freedom in cycling and that very day, he cycled to school! We are all so proud of him!

When I look at him, I feel a sense of accomplishment. Personally for me, I only get to cycle at the age of 17! He managed to do it at the age of 5. Nevertheless to say, we must educate him to look out for pedestrians and still be careful of slopes and bumps.

2. Courage


Kate's hand with the mealworm
Children's innocence make them courageous. Their dictionary is mainly curiosity and they don't mind trying! Kate's really made me feel that!

In school, she volunteered twice to bring back and take care of the mealworms. She loves them so much and we, parents were the actual ones to take care of them. Anyway, she is so brave! She wanted to carry the mealworm on her hand and touch them! Of course they are ticklish. That's the only word in her head. There is no such thing as fear! Wow right?


She even pressed on the mealworm gently! So brave right?

Indeed, I have to put up a brave front and also tried to put the mealworm on my hand. It's ticklish. Very ticklish and I didn't put up a scared look! I can still remember that in the past, when I was in Primary school, I had mealworms for my birds and was in charge of feeding them. This 2 days of taking care, made me recall what I did for the birds! :)

Her courageous front makes me want to have my courageous level to be on par with her! Courageous Kate! Hence, as parents, we must not try to instil our fears on something in front of the children. They may learn, and be fearful of things that aren't suppose to be.

Put up a brave front!

3. Strong Will
 

Recently we enrolled Josh in gymnastic lessons at the Sports Council. I'm just so amazed that he is diligent and obedient in learning the different gymnastic poses! Some are tough and required holding on to the same position for 10 counts. He is able to do them again and again. Not a single word of 'cannot' was uttered by him! I kept encouraging him! So proud of him.

Josh is stretching


He is able to hold in this position for 3 sets of 10 counts
 Looking the children learn the gymnastics, make me feel that PE should be this fun! Having so many different obstacle courses and trying out forward roll together! I saw other older children displaying their gymnastic skills, and it made me feel like learning! Oh man!


Balancing Beam!


This pose is to balance with the head
A better view!
 
Hanging on to the pole and swing!
He attends with his classmates and I'm so pleased that it will make them closer in their friendship! Honestly, this gym session makes me feel that children are willing to learn new things and we have to encourage them! It also tests his mental strength to hold on to stretching poses. Really proud of him. Kate wants to learn too, just that this course only accepts children above 4!

 
There are so many things we can learn from children. And I just feel that we have to keep learning and growing! Keep ourselves fit and strong too!
 

Popular posts from this blog

Cycling across Park Connector

Baby 3 Part Two

Kids at Jacob Ballas (Botanic Gardens)