Cherish Simple Things in Life

Recently, Eve's grandmother (Ah-ma) came and stayed over at our place and we are so appreciative and happy that she spend time with us and the children! She made me realize that there are so much simple things in life that are so important and fun to do!

They are just sewing, cooking and folding of clothes. Often nowadays, I can hardly hear anyone say they sew their clothes, probably heard of them mending their own buttons back to the clothes. As for cooking, I'm glad more people are making effort to prepare their meals. I just feel that through Ah-ma's selfless sharing, her invaluable experiences have shown to us that these simple things takes passion and interest to go that high level. We should learn from it too. As for folding of clothes, I tell you! It's tough job!

Sewing
She used to make own garments, clothes by her own self. And she even shared with us that during every full month of her child, she has to prepare a newly designed clothes for her baby, and to think that she has 9 children! Amazing right? She used to sew bra and sold for 10 cents with intricate designs! 





At her current age of 89, she is able to still put a thread through a needle! And diligently sew torn pockets and clothes for us. She mended Kate's long pants and altered the length.

Kate is so interested in the sewing and helped to pull out the needle! Love this picture as it shows three generations.

Cooking
Ah-ma's cooking skills are really top notch level. With the same ingredients, same cooking pot, you just can't get the same taste as her cooking! Really drools and her preparation of food is perfection quality. I remembered preparing cooking with her, and for the Enoki mushroom, she saw me cut them and she picked up the discarded ones, telling me the remaining portion still edible. She showed me and it really comes to show that she doesn't waste food at all.



I feel that she has undergone so many tough challenging times, including the World Wars, and food don't come so easily. And every single bit of food, should not be wasted. This is the lesson I have learnt and it will always be in my blood, and will also be passed to my children and generations to come.



Even though she has so much knowledge in cooking, her EQ is also very top notch. She understands that I'm the chef in the kitchen, and she will ask me how the vegetable wants to be cut or chopped. It's like she asks me permission and check with me before she does the preparation. I am so amazed by it because she knows that everyone has different style of their food to be, and this is really another level of skill one got to learn. No arrogance at all, only humility.

Folding of Clothes
Her level of folding of clothes is yet another milestone for us! The clothes that she folds seemed to have undergone ironing! And those bed sheets and blankets especially, she can fold them so hotel style!


Look at the neatly folded clothes, and the towels are all so straight! 


For Ah-ma, we learnt some techniques of folding clothes and even I, personally, will do it. It seems so easy for the finished product, but it's the years of experience that made folding clothes seamless!

Great attitudes and lessons learnt from Ah-ma!




Popular posts from this blog

Cycling across Park Connector

Baby 3 Part Two

Kids at Jacob Ballas (Botanic Gardens)