My Beloved Godmother, mama

On 24th April 2017, 145pm, my Godmother breathed her last...She left a great legacy. She is a great woman.

The most recent visit was during this year's Chinese New Year. We were so delighted to visit her and to inform her about the good news on our fourth child. My three children were there too and I explained to them who she was. My godmother took great care of me as a nanny eversince I was one month old. I'm indeed thankful that her whole family took good care of me, especially my god sisters and brothers. The unconditional love that showered me all these years. When we departed that visit, I sensed something was not right, but I didn't ask. My mama was not moving much, different from the usual years whereby she would walk to and fro in the house. And my god sister told me to come by often with a little teary eyes. I thought I was thinking too much. I didn't ask anything because it was Chinese New Year, a festive period, and I kept it to myself, not even telling Eve about it. I was shocked when I knew the news just last week...


My mama took care of me full time till I was about 5 years old. All of them calls me "Ah Boy" and during that years, I stayed over at their house. They brought me out to shopping centres, bus rides, Sentosa and even overseas like Genting. Even though I was young, I could vividly remember some double decker rides with my Er Jie, and the memorable Sentosa visits! During my Primary school days, my sister and I would visit her house and play with other children. I was so thankful that we stayed just opposite each other. Occasionally, at the kitchen window, we would just shout for her to see us from her kitchen window.

As years passed, gradually, we visited her less often. It's even lesser when we shifted to Sengkang, and my university years, Army and after I wedded. I would still send Chinese New Year cards and Christmas cards to them, and they would reply back to us. So sweet right?

There were a few times we bumped to her at the Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10 market where she did her marketing. I was so glad to meet her as it was such a coincidence! The frequent visits became merely a once a year event during Chinese New Year...

It was last week that I received a phone call from my God children that she was ill, and I rushed down to see her. Apparently she was suffering from cancer in the liver for three months, but they didn't want to share with anyone. (During Chinese New Year, she already knew she had the illness, but she didn't want to tell) She was hospitalized three weeks before, and her appetite worsened so much. I immediately prayed for her and asked for healing that day. She was quite conscious and I chatted with her about 20 minutes, telling her how grateful I am and that she will be able to see my fourth child due in May 2017. I asked if she wanted to accept Jesus, but she didn't answer. I hope that you are in our Father's hands and taking good care of you, mama.

Mama, I want to tell you this again. Thank you for looking after me all the early years of my life. I'm so grateful that God has arranged someone to inform my parents that you babysit children at my opposite block. Your 78 years of legacy is an awesome one - 5 closely knitted children with 11 grandchildren, and babysit about 5 other children (including me). Something that I would like to mirror. You are my inspiration and we will never forget you. I will remember that you smiled when I told you that you are the winner of 5 children, whereby I have 4! Your tears of joy were seen from your face...

God bless, my beloved mama.

From Ah Boy

Popular posts from this blog

Cycling across Park Connector

Baby 3 Part Two

Kids at Jacob Ballas (Botanic Gardens)