Returning Back as a Soldier

Recently I was recalled back to the Army for mobilization briefing and I have the déjà vu feeling, as if I'm back as my good old recruit days once again. When I donned on the uniform, it just brought so many memories. From my Basic Military Training (BMT), to Officer Cadet School (OCS) and to my army unit. 


BMT
I can remember vividly that for the first day of BMT, I was unable to finish the cookhouse food. The portion was so huge. After three months of training, the portion is just right or at times, not enough! My appetite for food increased so much during this phase.

It was a place whereby I first started to be given responsibility. First huge responsibility of being the Platoon Commander for a week! I wonder why my sergeant chose me out of so many people. I had no choice to take on, and learned to shout marching commands, delegate duties and so much more! It's a great testing and learning ground for young men.

I can vividly remember the final day of my BMT, I was like going to the Star Awards. When they are calling out the nominal roll for those selected to OCS, my buddy's name was called. Then the next name "Mervyn Hoe!" I was dumbfounded because I thought I did not make the mark. I guessed that I got the place because of my good peer appraisal from my fellow team mates! Simply amazing.
 

OCS
Wow. This place really brought my fitness to another level. The challenges I had here was doubled compared to that of BMT's! The psychological part was also a tough one for me, and I had to control what was going through my mind over my tired physical body. I also made mistakes which I was punished for and I also reached emotional lows during this period too. True friendships were also tested and I'm glad I managed to find some true, worthy friends too.

I'm so thankful that I managed to pass as a cadet and become an officer. 
2014 version of me in Army uniform
Army Unit
This is a place whereby I got to display what I have learnt through the one year of training. The link between my Captain boss and my sergeants and men is always interesting and challenging too. Why? I have to consider the welfare of the men while the things to be done have to be efficient and successfully achieved.

Through managing the company, I am tasked like a teacher - coming out with lesson plans and necessary proficiency training for my men. Also the challenge of being junior in the unit, but facing senior people with lower rank. And also treating everyone fairly and respecting each other. After a while, rank is just proportional to the responsibility held. Carry out well, and you are safe.

The daily travels from Sengkang to Bukit Timah is not memorable at all, as I will take an hour to reach there. Catching the first bus everyday, chasing the next bus to camp, it's so routine. Luckily, I have grown to like my camp friends and that was the pushing factor for me everyday then.


Reservist Unit
Well, I'm not sure what it will be like for me. I certainly looking forward to see and feel the new environment, new batch of army mates and definitely new type of challenges awaits.

During my first call back, there was a change over parade of the commander in the unit. Looking at those senior commanders and officers, I really salute them as they are able to serve so many good years with the Army. And it's definitely not an easy feat to climb up the ranks consistently. Nowadays, it's so easy to find people switching careers. However these army leaders stayed throughout 30-35 years or more! It's definitely loyalty and passion in their career to succeed that bring them to where they are today. I was so inspired that we should look into our careers as long term and progress as much as we can. Definitely motivating!
 


Roles
The uniform makes me feel that we have so many roles to play daily. For me, everyday it's being a father, husband, financial adviser and son. Honestly, being a father is a steep learning curve for me. Everyday and every minute is learning, noting my actions and speech. I'm so thankful that Eve is always there to teach me what are the preferred steps to take to manage my children when they are angry or didn't want to listen to us at all. Come on, we are all humans. And we have emotions. At times, we do feel happy, sad, tired, angry etc. Despite it all, we should try and manage our emotions so that our children will look to us as role models and follow us. Reading up on books is something I need to work on! We need to constantly improve ourselves. 

 


Eve and I - Back to Army Days

We have to think and see what we can do best in our daily roles. No matter how big or small, you have to be happy. Happiness will make the world go round! And I'm thankful to serve the nation for 2 years 4 months! Thanks Army.
 

PS: Oh yes. During army days, I actually kept a personalised diary. I need to dig it up! Wonder where did I place it.

Popular posts from this blog

Cycling across Park Connector

Baby 3 Part Two

Kids at Jacob Ballas (Botanic Gardens)