Reading the correct Book

Well, recently, I have registered for myself Straits Times Interactive and I find it very useful tool for my domain knowledge as well as to know what's going on in the world, the REAL world. Not the online social media world.

Last time
Honestly, I was not an avid reader. I loathe reading newspapers when I was young. I would usually browse through the headlines or merely read the first few paragraphs, or look at the images. What attracts me in the newspaper reading was TV synopses and comics. Didn't learn much from it. I will just look at the sudoku and some available puzzles, if any, to do if I chanced by them in newspapers.

I can still remember that I only need to be serious in reading newspapers when my school required me to do newspaper article reviews or projects. Other than that, I won't bother to read them. And that will result in myself digging through the piles of newspapers at home.

I have no idea why but I just find reading newspapers very tiring and it's a chore and my mum would just pass me interesting articles for me to read in the past. The daily subscriptions of physical newspapers simply pile up at home and I found it ONLY useful to use as the 'toilet area' for my dog, Mickey. How sad.

Work
When I got into work life, I realized that a few of my colleagues are actually very well-versed with their language, be it verbal or written. I'm so amazed and I just asked them how come they are so good with their language. One said that she read newspapers frequently. Another is an avid reader for story books! She can read ten books in a row and only wants storybooks for her birthday present! Hardcore reader! And the result is, they are very good with their English language. This is something we should have as I find it a great asset for every individual.

I have seen some people are actually not well versed in their language, and all these years, there are no changes too. No effort was made to improve and I feel we should not stagnate in learning any language. For me, I want to improve my own vocabulary of words and also in terms of my usage of words in verbal conversations too. That's why I have decided to subscribe to the online newspapers. And the articles are so much easier to read, without the hassle of hands being dirty, folding the newspapers when reading and arching your back when reading on the floor!

Is it important?
I find that in this society, we have came to like other people's updates and 'stories' in the Online social media platform. To some, it's the first Must-do when they wake up. It keeps people updated in their friends or colleagues current news. Do we really need that? Is this necessary? Why don't we channel the time read up on other more interesting and self fulfilling information rather than viewing other people's profiles? 

After I have the Straits Times Interactive, it's time consuming enough for me to read through the articles during my free time. I'm just so amazed that the usage of my time on Online social media platform has significantly dropped too. I feel so happy about it. And if there are interesting articles, I can screenshot it and keep it. No more tedious newspaper cutting already, whereby you may have to worry if the article at the second page may be important if you are cutting the first page!

Totally relevant and practical. 

Public speaking
I feel that those well-versed in language are also confident individuals. And especially when giving public speaking, the words used just make them an edge over the others. It's really a true asset for every human beings. 

I will like want my children to speak well so that they can get their ideas and messages across to other people and this starts at home, and it's up to both Eve and I to do it. Pronouncing of words have to be accurate and at times, it's just amazing how children pick up very fast. For example, the word 'Bread' ends with a 'd' and Kate hears and will also imitate, and it's correct. So I now must make a conscious effort to speak Good English, and one of the way is to expose to correct reading materials.

Love it!


Popular posts from this blog

Cycling across Park Connector

Baby 3 Part Two

Kids at Jacob Ballas (Botanic Gardens)