Ilo Ilo

I'm really honored to know that this movie is awarded at Cannes. My wife told me about it, and she asked me whether do I know the content of it. I said, "I have no idea about it."

It's a story about a maid working for a typical Singaporean family with a child and two working parents. And somehow the relationship between the son and the maid became from bad to somewhat a mother-son relationship. And there are relationship strains in the family and so on. There was a scene whereby the mother told the maid that, "I am his Mother. Not you."

"My Ilo Ilo"
This scenario rings a bell to me as I was taken care by my maid from Primary One to Primary Four. And it was this time whereby I remembered that I grew close to my Sri Lankan maid. I loved her cooking and to tell you honestly, I was closer to her than to my parents then. It was okay to me, but I'm not sure how my parents would think about it. I just remembered my father as an ATM, and my mother will spend some time to play with me.

Come to think of it. I think it was dangerous to let a child (at early years) to be very close to maids. It is easy to delegate the job to a maid, but this comfort, in the long run, is not good for the parents and the child. There will not be a sense of true parenting if we delegate it out to the maid.

I will still feel that ownself taking care of the children should be the responsible and the most correct way to do it. For Andrea (dreawood.com), she takes care of her 4 boys and it is very commendable as she does her own side line too. And she has did many trials and errors, and soon she managed to do it and her husband is also very supportive too. It's tough but there is a true feel and relationship forged.

Sad to say that I don't really have a good father-son relationship, and I do not want to pass it down to my generations. It is no point to blame anyone now. The most important thing is that we have to look forward to know what is right and wrong. And hopefully can stop the wrong, to break the cycle.


Incorporate children into our lifestyle
One thing that is important now for Josh is that he likes to know what we are doing. Hence, now, we will explain where we are working as well as where we are going. Today, we went to the hair salon and had a hair cut together for the first time! Not that we have the same hairstyle, it's just that my hairdresser cut hair for both of us!

He enjoyed the whole process and also learnt words like "hair salon", "steamer". He also saw how they washed my hair. So proud of him that throughout our 1 hour 30 minutes there, he didn't even ask for any phone gadgets to play!

I have brought him to my appointments before and my clients actually trusted me more through bringing my son there for the appointment.

Bringing your child into your lifestyle (can no need all the time) can be quite fun. You will know more about your child. Like today, we were browsing the magazines and I was shocked that he pointed out and said "coffee table".  I didn't recall myself teaching him that. Probably it's his school.


So happy.



Picture of us at the hair salon


End product


Back view

I'm so glad that my son loves to go out with me. 


Popular posts from this blog

Cycling across Park Connector

Baby 3 Part Two

National Day 2006