Smoking and littering

What would you do if you see someone litter?

What would you do if you see someone smoking in prohibited spaces?

These are common questions that both Eve and I have been pondering about these days. I have seen people purposely throwing their used cigarettes on the floor, discard their unfinished KOI drink on chairs, throwing plastic bags down from their houses etc. My concern is, what can I do as a passerby? Watch and let the person get away with it? And feeling unhappy about the irresponsible act?

Seriously, we are all humans and why do we want to dirty the very environment that we stay! I believe that most of us make a conscious effort not to litter, however there are still a handful of them which don't. I was thinking...

1. Should I quickly snap a picture?
2. Tell the person?
3. Forget about it. The cleaner will clear.

I tried once for option 1. But in the end, I didn't because by lifting the iPhone and taking picture direct to him, it's so obvious. What if he come to me and ask what am I doing!

Option 2, it's really quite a hostile thing to do in our country. People may get offended and may punch you. I don't think it's correct.

Option 3.. I believe this is the most probable answer. However, I'm not doing my job as a fellow Singaporean.

Recently, NEA came out with an advertisement about extending non-smoking areas such as at 5 meters away from bus stops, lift lobbies, staircases etc. I find there should be more reinforcements to these advertisements.

It has been raining these days and walking along sheltered pathways, 2 out of 3 times, I have spotted smokers at the pathways and I have two children with me. As always, I chose option 3. Deep in my heart, I just feel that these people are so inconsiderate. They saw I have children and they still look and me, stop at what they are doing and then, carry on smoking. The second hand puff went into our lungs and head, together with those angry thoughts.

What can we do as passerbys? Call the police? It is really quite a dilemma issue. Once I have watched Channel 8 and there are actually people with license who catch litterbugs. And once they show the license, they have the right to question them and bring them for interrogation. It's their job. However, I don't think I want and have the right to show them any license.

What do you guys do? I feel there should be more outright awareness as well as reinforcements on the smoking rules in public areas as well as more people out there catching these litterbugs!


Popular posts from this blog

Cycling across Park Connector

Baby 3 Part Two

Kids at Jacob Ballas (Botanic Gardens)