Encounter

We had an encounter last night.

A lady, strapped with a baby, came to our door. She had a daughter, aged about 4 years old. She asked if we have any milk powder to spare for her new born child.

I was shocked. I honestly told her that we only drink goat's milk and there is no infant milk powder.

She was thinking what's goat's milk. And then she answered goat's milk also can. However I told her that our supply has ran out because its Friday. And the new bottles only come on Saturday morning.

Thoughts
I was contemplating whether should I give money to her. 

I was contemplating whether should I give her some of Kate's milk powder.

However, is it advisable? And is the baby allergic to these milk? I'm not sure.


Outcome
Then the lady left and I felt bad that I didn't help her at all. Her baby that she was carrying seemed to have some rashes on the cheeks. It was 8plus and I guess they haven't eaten their dinner.

Both of us felt troubled. How come will the lady will be in this situation? Where is her husband? She sounded to have a good command of English, probably a Singaporean. And didn't she gotten the baby bonus? Should we help and if we do, will she come back again? 

We thought too much. We thought to pass her $20 just to help her.

We then decided to go down. Josh and Kate went down with me to try and locate the woman. However, we walked left and right, can't find her. I suspect she stays in our block.

My mother-in-law was doing her tai-chi and I asked her whether did she see the lady. She then told me not to be dumb to give her. Later she may come back and ask for more. It's better to be safe than sorry. Hence we went back home after that.


2011
Once, there was a man who came door knocking to our door. And my mother-in-law was at home. He sounded like he is in a bad state, and wanted money. And promised to return the next day. My mother-in-law gave $50 and it's been two years, and he didn't come back. 

I wonder is it by giving, we help the person? Or harm the person because it may be the easy way out? 

Summary
From this, I am still quite troubled as to whether the child has food for the next few days. And hopefully this family have some other support.

Josh asked about what happened. I told him that they do not have milk and food. Hence can he waste his food? He answered No. 

I really hope that the child has sufficient food and shelter. And one couple should really have proper financial planning before they decide to have a child. It's not about sex and enjoyment. It's about being a parent and the responsibilities after the child is born.

I have encountered some families whereby they placed their financials in inappropriate areas. They rather place it in their automobiles, than covering themselves. The cars worth more than themselves! For example, they can spend $1.5k a month on cars, and less than $100 on insurance a month on their lives. It's not comprehensive enough a coverage and they don't see a point.

For insurance, it's not also about spending $1k a month too. One may not even be adequately covered with that if he didn't get the correct plan. Review again if required. 

For me, I make sure that my family members and I have this:

- full hospital coverage plan
- coverage for early stage illness

This is also the basis I set for my clients and I feel I'm doing my part. The remainder cater for their own retirement. Settle your basic needs first. 

I feel there's so much things to do and help other people. However we have to help ourselves first.





Popular posts from this blog

Cycling across Park Connector

Baby 3 Part Two

Kids at Jacob Ballas (Botanic Gardens)