Inferiority

Recently, I have been thinking about the how has school prepared my character building as a young teenager. The amount of confidence that I have accumulated is not given but through self-learning. To me, I feel that it's quite hard at times, as you do not have a good mentor for guidance and growth. The environment provided moulded me to have a typical mindset, which at the end of the day, is not so helpful.

Have you ever feel inferior when as a teen?

I can still remember that it was quite a not-so-good feeling in Secondary School whereby a lot of people find it 'prestigious' to go into Uniformed Groups as well as Sports Co-Curriculum Activities (CCA). Many of you didn't know what CCA I joined. In Secondary 1, I wanted to join Photography Club but it was closed down. And I joined Art Club because I want to learn more about Art. I didn't join Uniformed Groups because my father opposed me to joining. Sports then, I was quite short 1.36m and didn't know what sports is suitable for me. I was thinking NCC then, but the teacher said that they have went for the health check already, unable to accept me. Hence, I joined Art Club which only had an intake of 4 people that year.

I can still feel that the more popular people in school are those who are in the 'high profile' CCAs such as NPCC, NCC, Basketball, Councillors blah... and I'm not sure about my same batch of Art Club friends, but I felt inferior about it. Throughout the four years, I simply feel that there was not much emphasis on these Clubs as they don't earn awards for the school. And I was shocked that after I graduated from my Secondary School, the Art Club was closed down! There was no Art Club in a school anymore. That's quite sad actually.

The 4 of us had became very close and we enjoyed learning and doing the backdrops for events in the main Hall. It was enjoyable and I realised that my teacher, Mr Wah is certainly an unsung hero. He did so much preparation for the backdrops and we even stayed back quite late to help him set up. Shifting those large boards up and down, painting for him and did so much cutting and pasting. The amount of hard work is really commendable.

I wasn't given much avenue for showing my talent and stuff. However, deep down, I felt that I learnt about what patience really was. And of course I learnt some art techniques from Chinese painting, to Oil canvas painting and paper-cutting.

Worst stories
I have heard from some people that Art Club is a lobo club, which means do nothing. Definitely I felt sad when I heard this, but what can I do? I just know that I am learning art skills and I'm happy about it. I wonder how come there is this feeling placed upon me indirectly because of my choice? Does my teacher felt it too? I pondered.

I had a few times whereby I walked past the Parade Square, and the Uniform group people were there. And I would be looking down because I'm just not in Uniform groups, and felt I'm of lower grade. I wonder how come I can manage to tide through those Saturdays, still appearing happy about it. I used to have a crush then and I didn't even have the confidence to face her at Parade Square because I'm not in NPCC. That's really a challenge I faced. Maybe this is just negative self-thought.

I wonder how come I have this inferiority complex about myself for that 4 years? And because of that, when I entered Junior College, I have decided to try something different. I went into Health & Fitness Club and after three months, was voted as President of the Club. I loved the position and from there, I have started to go into Public speaking and planning of events. Many people didn't know I was in Art Club in Secondary School and some even LOL! I would also LOL in front of them. Is it so funny? Hmm..

What I have self-learnt
Oh well, I have learnt that it's not good to keep comparing to other people. Honestly, we are all different and we just need to humble ourselves at times. Keep comparing will bring about unnecessary worries and may affect self-esteem. Luckily, my secondary school CCA choice didn't reduce so much of my self-esteem, but it has affected my confidence at that time quite a bit.

Just focus on what you can contribute and learning are of utmost importance!
Learning to step out is also an important factor as you will know yourself better and the hidden skills that you have!




Popular posts from this blog

Cycling across Park Connector

Baby 3 Part Two

National Day 2006