Height

Height



What is your height? This is what I usually ask my clients in the proposal form.
Usually they can confidently say their answer. When it comes to weight, they will think awhile.

For me, height USED TO me a concern for me. I am less than 1.65m. It doesn't matter now because I'm an adult now, I'm taken and I'm a father. However, the journey from 1.36m to 1.64m was quite a roller-coaster ride for me! It was not easy as a young teenager. Every increase in the decimal place is so important then.

In the Past
Well, height has been a concern for me when I was young. Always first to be in the class line, sit in front of class and also first few to be at the parade square. Do I feel a little low self confidence about myself? Quite at times. For Primary School, I didn't have any concerns because many teachers find that I'm cute for my height. And I am a December baby, hence there is an "excuse" that I can be short.

In Secondary School, still "short and cute"? It is not an appropriate description. Height was getting a little of concern for me. I still can remember back then that I have a height tracker at my mirror wall, occasionally I will measure and see what is my height! It's quite demoralising when my peers are getting taller and taller 'exponentially', while mine is not so exponential.

And yes, when we want to like people, we have to choose those that are of similar height. And those that are taller than me, I straight away have to cross it out. Those taller guys have a more widespread choice, isn't it! No one actually told me about this, but I think human instinct is in every one of us, and it is an untold and known fact. It was quite a hurdle for me back then.

Some weird ideas
Leg extensions? Thought of it. It is a painful operation which breaks your lower limbs and place extensions. It is confirmed painful.

Taller shoes? Thought of it. I have went into the shop to try it. It was so U.G.L.Y. Make you feel so out of proportion.

Dis-advantages
Nevertheless, I still have to accept the fact. Anyway, there are some difficulties I have personally faced!

1. Standing Broad Jump
Yes, there is an unfair advantage on the physical test station of Standing Broad Jump.  A 1.8m guy can jump 2.25m easily. And for a 1.64m guy have to do the same. What is the logic. I always barely pass and I feel proud and a sense of accomplishment when I can achieve it. Think those who are taller don't have much of a concern.

In Secondary School, I have trouble sleeping the night before the Physical Test. And I really hope that someone can lift me up to a 2.25m distance. However, it didn't come true. I think I managed to get the distance at a second try.

2. Clothes
It is not easy to find clothes that match my physique and some shops, the S and XS are usually first to be gone! The cutting of some shirts will make me even smaller, which is undesirable. Hence, now, I would tailor my working clothes. For Tees, I will patronize only some shops! Want to know?

Desigual and P.O.A (People of Asia). They have my sizes!

Army
Of course there is an advantage for shorter guys. You can dig your trench lesser because it is height dependent. However, the amount of weight carried is still the same. Think about this. A 1.8m guy carries 40kg of weight and a 1.64m guy carries the same weight. Is there balance? However, I feel the stand still carries on.

In the Army, it was a fun time for me because I get to hang out with people of similar height that has the same weakness as me, the Standing Broad Jump and we would joke about it. Of course we encouraged each other and trained with each other. The friendship is very strong during the Army times. Really find that it was quite a joy to have the SAME company of friends!

Have I overcame the height issue?
Soon, I began to realise that the world still spins even if I'm tall, short, fat or thin. And when I entered Junior College, I just began to self-condition myself that I would not let it happen again. None of the "height-thoughts" should enter in my mind. Is it worth it to be sad because of my height? No way! Waste my time.

And I just want to be my real self, a jovial and positive person. I am just so amazed to know that I have made so much more friends in Junior College! It's like a fun place to be in. That's where I met Eve and it is the best reward I have from the school! It is through this period that I realised that self-confidence is of utmost importance rather than physical aspect (e.g. height). This one no one told me before.

Height as a topic to remember
Now when I meet up with my clients, height is one of the topics that I will talk about! Especially those taller female clients! I will tell them not to wear heels when meeting me! This is a good way for them to remember me as a friend and adviser. And I don't feel any pinch about being my height. I love it!

I really wonder those that are of my height range how do they feel? I'm sure that life goes on and I do not mind sharing one day to a mass of people about this!

Through these all, I want to thank God that height didn't make me weaker, but stronger as an individual.


You can see my Primary School photograph at this post. Love my smile then!

Popular posts from this blog

Cycling across Park Connector

Baby 3 Part Two

Kids at Jacob Ballas (Botanic Gardens)